Russia’s top oil producer Rosneft said a large-scale cyber attack hit its servers on Tuesday and computer systems at some banks and the main airport in neighboring Ukraine were also disrupted.
A Moscow-based cyber security firm, Group-IB, said it appeared to be a coordinated attack simultaneously targeting victims in Russia and Ukraine.
In Copenhagen, global shipping firm Shipping company A.P. Moller-Maersk said it had suffered a computer system outage caused by a cyber attack thought it was not immediately clear if it was connected.
One of the firms Group-IB said had been hit in Russia, Damco, which is Maersk’s logistics company.
The latest disruptions follow a spate of hacking attempts on state websites in Ukraine in late 2016 and repeated attacks on its power grid that prompted security chiefs to call for improved cyber defenses.
Rosneft, one of the world’s biggest producers of crude oil by volume, said its oil production had not been affected.
“The company’s servers underwent a powerful hacking attack,” the company said on Twitter.
“The hacking attack could lead to serious consequences, but the company has moved to a reserve production processing system and neither oil output nor refining have been stopped.”
Rosneft’s website was unavailable in Moscow as of 13:25 GMT and had been offline for at least an hour before that.
Source: Cyber attack hits oil giant and banks in Russia and Ukraine | Reuters
HACKERS have caused widespread disruption for businesses, banks and airports across Europe in an infection reminiscent of last month’s WannaCry attack.
Danish shipping company Maersk said systems were down across multiple sites, while the virus also reached servers for the Russian oil company Rosnoft.
Ukraine’s prime minister says that a cyberattack affecting his country is “unprecedented,” but “vital systems haven’t been affected.”
Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman also said on Facebook that “our IT experts are doing their job and protecting critical infrastructure … The attack will be repelled and the perpetrators will be tracked down.”
Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Pavlo Rozenko on Tuesday posted a picture of a darkened computer screen to Twitter, saying that the computer system at the government’s headquarters has been shut down.
A researcher for Kaspersky Lab identified the virus as Petrwrap, a strain of the Petya ransomware identified by the firm in March. One recovered sample was compiled on June 18th, suggesting the virus has been infecting machines in the wild for some time.
The world is still recovering from a previous outbreak of ransomware, called WannaCry or WannaCrypt.
Source: Cyber attack hits Europe, ‘unprecedented’ says Ukraine Prime Minister
Ukraine’s national bank, state power company and largest airport are among the targets of a huge cyber attack on government infrastructure. Rozenko Pavlo, the deputy Prime Minister, said he and other members of the cabinet were unable to access their computers. He tweeted an image of his PC displaying a message claiming a disk “contains errors and needs to be prepared”, urging the user not to turn it off.
Ukraine’s national bank, state power company and largest airport are among the targets of a huge cyber attack on government infrastructure.
Rozenko Pavlo, the deputy Prime Minister, said he and other members of the cabinet were unable to access their computers.
He tweeted an image of his PC displaying a message claiming a disk “contains errors and needs to be prepared”, urging the user not to turn it off.
Images showing other affected computers showed what appeared to be ransomware, demanding a payment of $300 (£235) in Bitcoin to re-gain access to encrypted files.
The cyber attack came hours after a high-ranking intelligence officer was assassinated in a car bombing and Kiev.
Source: Ukraine cyber attack: Chaos as national bank, state power provider and airport hit by hackers | The Independent
The new series about Mexico’s rock-star supervillain and real-life drug lord, Joaquín Guzmán, has the same implausible storylines and the same slaughter of innocents as David Simon’s hit – with an added side of gore
Like all great folk villains, the Mexican drug lord Joaquín Guzmán has a story that demands to be told. Netflix have dutifully obliged with the show El Chapo, which premiered in the UK last week. Most people became aware of Guzmán in 2015 after his “jailbreak of the millennium”, escaping from a maximum-security prison in Mexico through an underground tunnel riding a motorbike on rails. It’s the kind of break-out MacGyver storyliners dismissed as too implausible. El Chapo’s tunnel makes you wonder what miracle of mind and will made it possible. He may not look like much, but Guzmán is a rock star in supervillain circles.
Netflix junkies may well experience deja vu when they dig into the series. For the second time in two years, the streaming service shows us the rise to power of a real-life drug lord. Narcos followed Pablo Escobar’s journey from small-time dealer to billionaire robber baron. Now El Chapo offers ringside seats to Guzmán’s rise from minor member of the Guadalajara cartel to the most powerful drug trafficker on the planet.
Source: El Chapo: Netflix’s gruesome, gripping answer to The Wire | Television & radio | The Guardian
Theresa May has called for a “major national investigation” after results showed cladding on 95 buildings has now failed tests being undertaken in the wake of the Grenfell Tower disaster. The newest figure was revealed at a cabinet meeting attended by the Prime Minister on Tuesday and means every building so far tested across 32 local authorities has failed. Ms May told her ministers the probe is needed to discover “what’s gone wrong” to allow the flawed cladding to be fitted to so many buildings over two decades.
Source: Grenfell Tower fire: Theresa May calls for ‘major national investigation’ after cladding on 95 buildings have now failed tests | The Independent
War monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has said 57 people have been killed in an air strike believed to have been carried out by the US-led coalition in an eastern Syrian town controlled by Isis. A spokesperson for the coalition said it would quickly look into the matter. The Observatory said the air strike took place on Monday at dawn, hitting a building in the town of al-Mayadeen that was being used to house dissenters against Isis’ rule. More follows…
Source: US coalition air strike on Isis jail kills at least 57 prisoners in eastern Syria, say activists | The Independent
CCTV footage shows the shocking moment a man was hit by a bus on the street in Reading.
Simon Smith was knocked to the ground by the vehicle while walking along Gun Street. He was able to get back on his feet afterwards and suffered only minor injuries.
No arrests have been made. Reading Buses say it was an awful incident which is being investigated internally.
Source: CCTV footage shows man hit by bus in Reading – BBC News
David Lammy has argued the real number of people killed in the Grenfell Tower catastrophe may have been covered up to prevent riots. The official figure of those who are either confirmed dead or missing and presumed dead remains at 79 but is expected to increase further. Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy has said he hoped the final death toll “does not reach treble figures”.
Mr Lammy noted that people on the ground were saying the fire claimed more lives than the official figures were showing. He argued it was imperative the public and the authorities listened to the personal accounts of people from and around Grenfell Tower.
He said: “In one flat alone, people say there were up to 40 people gathering because they gathered in the flat, it was Ramadan”.
He added: “I am being honest about what people have said to me. I was not standing outside of Grenfell Tower watching my neighbours jump and burn to death but I’ve heard those people and we should validate what they’re saying, they’re not making it up”.
Constructed in 1974, the tower is thought to have contained 120 flats and have been home to between 400 and 600 people…
Source: Grenfell tower fire: Death toll may have been covered up to prevent a riot, says David Lammy MP | The Independent
Documents obtained by the Guardian reveal Jay Sekulow approved plans to push people to give to his Christian nonprofit, which then paid big sums to his family.
More than 15,000 Americans were losing their jobs each day in June 2009, as the US struggled to climb out of a painful recession following its worst financial crisis in decades.
But Jay Sekulow, who is now an attorney to Donald Trump, had a private jet to finance. His law firm was expecting a $3m payday. And six-figure contracts for members of his family needed to be taken care of.
Documents obtained by the Guardian show Sekulow that month approved plans to push poor and jobless people to donate money to his Christian nonprofit, which since 2000 has steered more than $60m to Sekulow, his family and their businesses…
Source: Trump lawyer’s firm steered millions in donations to family members, files show | US news | The Guardian