IRISH singer Mary Coughlan said she was left fighting for her life following a spider bite in Alice Springs. Ms Coughlan was hospitalised for five days after being bitten during a sellout Australian tour. The Tired and Emotional vocalist said she noticed a bite on the end of her finger shortly after waking up in Alice Springs.“Over the next few days it turned into a rash all over my body,” Ms Coughlan told the Irish Sun this week.“ I went to a medical centre and they told me it was most likely caused by a bite from a non-poisonous spider.”
After being prescribed antihistamines, Ms Coughlan said she pushed on to finish the rest of her tour – but fell seriously ill on her return to Ireland.“I thought I was dying. I was in hospital for five days with what the doctors said was blood poisoning,” she said.
But Ms Coughlan said that her brush with death wasn’t the worst of it. Obviously unsatisfied with its Northern Territory life, the creepy crawly had accompanied Ms Coughlan on the journey home.“I got better but what freaked me out was finding a spider had followed me all the way back from Australia,” she said. Ms Coughlan said she found the uninvited guest when unpacking her luggage following her return home from hospital.“I had bought some Ugg boots for my granddaughter in Sydney, and carried them around with me as I played Canberra and Melbourne,” she said. “Now back home in Ireland, I could see a spider crawling out on to the floor.“We had no idea what sort of spider it was but my son-in-law killed it. It freaked me out that the spider that bit me could have followed me home from Australia.